Monday, October 05, 2009

Mamma Mia!

If you have HBO channel, you might have watched "Mamma Mia!" the movie last night. It was my second time watching it and I still love every bit of the movie. I was even dancing to all the music :P. It's ABBA music! How can you not dance??

No, who doesn't love ABBA? Other than the movie, I had also watched the musical which was staged here a few years ago. And last year there was this ABBA concert by a group (I can't remember the name) reprising the 4 singers of ABBA -- Anni-Frid Lyngstad (a.k.a Frida), Benny Anderson, Björn Ulvaeus and Agnetha Fältskog. Although they weren't the real McCoys, the music was enough to get us up on our feet and danced throughout the concert. It was fantastic. I especially like the song "Mamma Mia!". The tune is catchy and you must be weird if you just sit there and listen.

Other than The Beatles, this Swedish group, has the most profounding impact and influence in the music industry. They did not reunite ever since the supposed hiatus in year 1982. However, productions like the Mamma Mia! musical and movie were created instead. And if you can't get enough of their soundtracks, start collecting their albums, CDs, videos which are released worldwide. Sad to say I only have one of their CDs. Perhaps I am not crazy enough yet to collect all their albums and stuff. Furthermore, with youtube and internet at your finger tips, one can simply download and listen ABBA songs at his/her convenience.

Now, last night's recap set me listening hard to their songs' lyrics and I realized all their lyrics were simple, down to earth and true to the heart. The lyrics can really struck a chord within me or may be to lots of people out there. So, I guess no matter what I'm gonna say, you still have to experience the ABBA music youself to truly comprehend my excitement and joy. The below excerpt from their song "Thank You for the Music" is appropriately portrayed:

So I say
Thank you for the music
The songs I'm singing
Thanks for all the joy they're bringing
Who can live without it
I ask in all honesty
What would life be without a song or a dance what are we
So I say thank you for the music for giving it to me

Need I say more?

No comments: