Tuesday, June 13, 2006

World Cup 2006 Mania

Seriously, I DO NOT like the term "soccer widow". In fact, I hate it. Who on earth gave that coinage??? The Chinese version sounds worse: "足球寡妇". Sucks!

Keep seeing that word on every newspaper I turn, and frankly, it irks me and it makes us seem so pathetic. Forgive me for cyring out loud, if our men get so excited and turned on by the big F word, so be it. The earth still evolves and life goes on. We women, need not have to end our lives! Hello~, we are the women of the 21st century, we set our trend, and be the lord of our kismets.

Yes, my Significant Other is very very excited, crazy and hilarious about the World Cup, and is forgoing sleep to watch 22 men chasing a ball. And, no, I AM NOT a soccer widow, for goodness sake. I have plans of my own. Am always a good girl during weekday nights coz I need ample rest, and recently, have not been in the pink of health. Thus, all the more I need to rest, even on the past few weekends (World Cup just commenced last weekend). However, for the upcoming weekends, do plan to go shopping, it is the GSS mind you, meeting friends for lunch/dinner, gallivanting if I permit, and not forgetting, to put my culinary skills to test, again. Have not been cooking for quite some time, so with my Significant Other hooks to the goggle box, I need to feed him.

I do not feel less loved like some writers said so. My Significant Other is still as attentive and caring to me. Some adjustments to make though, for instance, no travelling during this period, and I may have to go home on my own after work (yes, I know I am very pampered). Nothing big deal, and in fact, am glad for the time when I can be on my own. I need to get in touch with my inner soul now and then :).

So, what is the big hooha of "soccer widow"? NOTHING, if I am permitted to say so.


You can join the guys if you like, so you will have similar topics to whack about in the toilets/bedroom. If you like pretty handsome guys, all the more you should watch the games. There are no lack of them. Just to name a few, the familiar David Beckham and Michael Owen of England, Francesco Totti (so-called Prince of Rome), Gianluigi Buffon and Filippo Inzaghi of Italy (actually, the whole team is swarming with good looking dudes), Raul Gonzalez of Spain (my favourite, Fernando Morienties was not picked for the team for this world cup), Michael Ballack of Germany, Kaká of Brazil, Hidetoshi Nakata of Japan......and what have you :).

And if oogling at these beautiful handsome dudes is not your cup of tea, head to Singapore Pools to heat up the excitement. Yes, place a bet or two. No, am not advocating gambling here, but just for the sake of fun. Pick a favourite team and follow them throughout the whole tournament. Who knows you may have beginner's luck ;).

There are more on the list. You can drop into one of those pubs which is broadcasting the games, or, hop to the shopping mall which has those mega TV screen and have the company of bunch and bunch of crowd, or.......now, you have all the reason to stay up late. There! Isn't that fantastic?

So, who is gonna call us "soccer widow"? Don't you dare start......

No comments: