Monday, December 12, 2005

Music

"Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Nietzsche

Last Saturday night, attended the SSO Christmas concert with my sister. It has become an annual ritual for her and she never fails to ensure I get the tickets way before December, coz it's always a sold out perfomance.

Have been a supporter of SSO since I was a student, and have been attending their Christmas concerts for the last 10 years. Yes, you have the same old carols every year and they keep playing Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker Suite yearly as well. However, I do not seem to get tired of all these. This year, they did a different presentation of The Nutcracker Suite -- Overture, Dance of the Reed Pipes, Waltz of the Flowers, Dance of the Sugar-Plum Fairy and March, a jazz version with adaption for the orchestra. I must say, it was very refreshing and I never know jazz can be so moving, coz have never been a fan of jazz music.

My all time favourite was played as well, Leroy Anderson's Sleigh Ride. It really got you into the Christmas moods :). The only thing you wish is: it's snowing outside. *Sigh*.....a pity we can't have a white Christmas here. Anyway, with Christmas carols being sung, balloons flowing down, Christmas cane candies, Santa Claus' hats, and all the decorations, you can't wait for Christmas at all :).

Have not been attending much SSO concerts lately coz no 'kaki' to go with as my Significant Other is not keen of classical music. It suddenly makes me realized I've been left at the cultural desert for too long. Next year, SSO will be celebrating Mozart's 250th birthday, so perhaps it will be a good time to embrace music into my life once again, least I become a plebeian and uncultured soul.

No comments: